Register with the Embassy
We strongly encourage all U.S. citizens living or traveling to Montenegro to register with the Embassy, but it is not required. The U.S. Embassy also encourages all Americans living in or traveling to Montenegro to register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at the the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) page.
In registering, you provide overseas contact information and itinerary, your passport information, and the name and phone/email address of someone you want us to contact in case you have any trouble.
Why you should register
We use this information in several ways, all to help you:
- if you go missing, then we know your itinerary and where to start looking
- if you are involved in an accident, then we know who you want to be contacted
- if someone back home wants to pass an emergency message to you, then we are more likely to be able to find you and pass along that message
- if there is a broader emergency, then we can email you security-related information
- if for any reason we ever needed to evacuate all of the Americans out of Montenegro, then we will know to look for you
How to register
The easiest way to do so is online through the Department of State's centralized worldwide registration system. If you are traveling to multiple countries, this secure system distributes your information to all the U.S. Embassies and Consulates where you will be. If you indicate that your overseas trip is only for a limited duration, then the system automatically deletes your information shortly after your trip concludes. The site also provides up-to-date travel information customized to your unique travel agenda and itinerary.
If you cannot access the State Department's secure system or do not wish to use it, then you can register in person directly with the Consular Section in Podgorica. Simply download the registration form and then schedule an appointment to bring it to us in person. Our contact information is listed above in the Key Information box. Please enclose a photocopy of the ID page of your U.S. passport. Registration forms are also available at the Embassy.